Monday, January 18, 2016

"No Park" Day at WDW

Today was MLK Jr Day, and we figured the crowds at the parks would be crazy, so we decided to do a 'park-free' WDW day.  It was chock full of adventure and fun, so it's totally do-able (in fact, if we ever were to do a long vacation- 7 days or so- I'd plan two or three of these days!)

We started out by getting up bright and early to go have breakfast with Lilo, Stitch and friends at 'Ohana.  It was a bit tricky getting to the resort, as I was originally planning on taking the monorail (for J-man), but it was not running quite as early as we had reservations for.  Luckily a great WDW bus driver told us the best way was to transfer buses at EPCOT, and we had no problem!
 Mmmmm...... STITCH waffles!
 Looking like we are camping.... one of the downfalls of camping.
 Justin did NOT want anything to do with Lilo, Mickey or Stitch.  Stitch (being the mischevious alien he is) crawled under the table with Justin, but my stubborn kid refused to warm up.
Stitch is Alex's favorite character, he got plenty of love.

 J turned around when Pluto showed up.  This Pluto was SO good-- he even started to wiggle his tail and rolled over on his back when Justin scratched behind his ears.
 We took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and decided to take a boat back to Ft. Wilderness (so fun! I've never seen this much of the lake before).
 The boat passed right under the monorail-- the next best thing to being ON the monorail is being right UNDER it when it zips by!
 It was a bit chilly (as you can tell from our down jackets), but we played a little tetherball on the beach. (MORE on the cold later!)
 Checked out the stores at the Trails' End...

 Then headed back to the campground to enjoy the rest of the day.  The kids and I rented bikes and went exploring--
If I can stop a moment to brag about Justin.... he's been riding a bike now for a while, but the ones at the rental were *just* too big for him (and the littler ones had rickety training wheels that threw him for a loop).  He totally stuck it out-- multiple crashes an all-- on a bike that was too big.  He was a total trooper!

After an afternoon of biking and exploring, we had an early reservation for the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue.  It is at Ft. Wilderness, so it was super-convenient.  Justin donned his ear protection, in case it was too loud (good idea!), and we headed down for all-you-can-eat fried chicken (yum!), bbq, cornbread and all the fixins'.  

 It was a really fun show-- Alex surprised us all by participating when one of the actors came around and asked her a question that she answered into the microphone (REALLY didn't expect that!).  The dancing and singing and vaudeville acts were very enjoyable!

UPDATE ABOUT THE COLD WEATHER:  As we were getting up this morning in the COLD, cold weather, I started thinking about how we'd have to pack up our entire campsite at 5:30am tomorrow morning.  It was dark.  It was cold.  And I didn't want to feel stressed about making it to EPCOT by 8am for our breakfast.  Soooooooooooo   I decided to eat the cost of a second night at Ft. Wilderness and book a room at the Caribbean Beach Resort for this evening.  Best Decision Ever.  We didn't have to pack up by 3pm, because we had paid for the spot for the night, so we enjoyed the Hoop Dee Doo and packed up afterwards!

No comments: