Thursday, January 1, 2015

Spinning our way into the New Year!

Alex received some hand carders, a spinning book and a drop spindle from Santa this year.  We took advantage of having Auntie Carrie over to get a quick lesson in spinning our bunny wool.
 Things we learned:  we need to be REALLY mindful of the quality of wool we harvest.  It is super hard to pick out tiny pieces of hay from wool.  Super hard.
It is easier than we thought it would be to spin-- but it will take lots of practice.  Also, we need a fiber that we can blend with the angora, as it does not have much give.
I ordered some raw sheep wool online.  I knew it would have to be washed.  I did not know it would be caked in dirt.  Yuck.  I'm not sure that I want to take this part of the project on quite yet.  We'll get some nice clean merino roving to start off with!

No comments: