Saturday, November 8, 2014

Something new at Mill City Farmer's Market

A while ago, I learned that many people who are gluten-sensitive (or gluten-intolerant) CAN tolerate heritage wheat.  I've been thinking about that for a while, and since Alex seems to be able to have "real" wheat in small doses (with prophylactic prunes and probiotics), it seems like the right time to try and reintroduce something like an ancient grain.  Sunrise Flour Mill is a Minneapolis-based mill that carries Ancient Red Fife.  I contacted the owner and found out that they were getting ready for a farmer's market this weekend.  To save on shipping costs, the kids and I checked it out on Saturday (it was a Daddy in Conneticut weekend, anyway).
 
 The market was inside the foyer of the museum, so it was a warm spot to look at all the beautiful produce and goods.  There was also a boxcar.  Enough said.
 We purchased an assortment of yummy looking veggies, and 10 pounds of wheat berries.  I could have gotten the actual flour, but I really want the kids to start milling our flour again as part of our homeschool rhythm (which, by the way, has gotten completely off-track, but I'll save that for another post).
 We have a very nice hand mill by Victorio, so we got to work.

 Look at that!  Some beautiful, low-gluten flour!  Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best! 

No comments: