Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Last Day of Kindergarten- celebration style!

I will admit to being in tears when I left Alex at school this morning.  Miss Brenda and Miss Kerry had a wonderful 'last day of school' morning circle that parents were invited to attend.  We stood behind our students and Miss Brenda said a little verse about letting the dovecotes fly from the coop.....sob..... she then lovingly and with great intention lit a candle for each of the students in her class.  It was beautiful.  I am really looking forward to homeschooling next year, but I eagerly anticipate the day that Justin gets to join her kindergarten class (maybe for his 5th and 6th years).  She and Miss Kerry have brought so much nurturing, warmth and gentle guidance to not only Alex, but the rest of our family.  I can't imagine life without them!

After school, Alex, Justin and I stopped for a long-anticipated treat of 'bubble tea'.
I had it in Korea last may and, although it wasn't my favorite, I thought the kids would get a kick out of the tapioca pearls bursting in their mouths.  The novelty was a bit short-lived for Alex, as the whole drink (mango tea with strawberry bubbles) was too sweet for her.  Justin only drank a little of the tea, but spent the better part of an hour eating the bubbles-- good hand-eye-spoon coordination work!

Then Alex got to decide what we would serve for dinner.  Sushi it was!  And potato salad.  Because who can have sushi without potato salad?

"I may LOOK German....but I enjoy sushi like the rest of the family!"


Dave ceremoniously cut open a watermelon for dessert and the kids enjoyed the sticky treat outside for a post-dinner romp in the grass.
My soon-to-be First Grader!
Tomorrow we get to attend the puppet play and kindergarten potluck picnic- so it will be our official last event for a while at MWS.




No comments: