Sunday, January 12, 2014

Run Disney Expo and the WDW Marathon!

Dave, Will, Toni and I slipped away from Ft. Lauderdale for a day and a half.  Will and I have been training to run our first marathon!  We stayed at Disney's All-Star Sports hotel which was, well,  COZY with four adults sharing one bedroom.  It's a budget hotel with a Disney price.  That is all.

The night before the race we picked up our bibs at the Run Disney Expo, checked out Downtown Disney and then had dinner at Saana at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas.  Carb-loading in the form of naan and rice.  Yummy!
The next morning Will and I caught the 3:30 Disney bus to the starting corrals.  For having 26,000 people running, it was very well organized and smoothly operated!  We ran the race in around 6 hours and 30 minutes- through all four parks (where we got to even ride the Everest rollercoaster!) and the Wide World of Sports center (easily the most boring part of the race.....and where I hit my 'wall' around 19 miles).  Having my brother beside me was fantastic though-- he was very encouraging and hey, I coudn't let my baby brother earn a medal without ME!
Each corral got their own countdown (by Mickey himself) AND fireworks!  We were in corral M, and had about 45 minutes to wait from corral A's start time until we were at the starting gate. 
There were character photo ops all along the race course.  We stopped early for Capt. Jack Sparrow, and kind of got the whole character thing out of our system.  It is really hard to wait in line while hundreds of other runners pass you!

The Magic Kingdom was super-fun to run in.  We got to go through Cinderella's castle and all the cast members were out and cheering us on!
It was a heck of a lot easier to make it to THIS Everest-- my lungs were in way better condition AND there was a roller-coaster.  As long as I took a puff of my inhaler every 2 hours, my lungs behaved beautifully!
See?  I told you there was a roller-coaster!
There were a LOT of miles in-between parks.  We were so happy to enter Hollywood Studios (mile 22) and get off of the Disney surface streets which were flat (good) but a little boring.

Final push from Epcot to the finish line-- people kept trying to be encouraging, but we heard "only 1.2 miles" for about a mile long stretch.  Seriously.  If you're cheering us on, just don't say any numbers!
The medals!
A Very proud Mama!  

Who is up for next year's Marathon?

1 comment:

Emma Mae said...

So proud of you!!!!