Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dec 11: Gifts for Teachers-- and KOLACHES!

We were in the kitchen today, making some (surprise) teacher gifts as well as some goodies for upcoming Holiday potlucks.  I've been so reluctant to do any actual baking, because I was afraid that anything I made with the gluten-free flours would be sub-par.  I have a German Shepherd Club Holiday meeting coming up, and I figured that I needed to make some Czech kolaches so that people remembered my dog's name (Kolachi- spelled atrociously so that Americans can pronounce it at first sight).  There is no gluten-free kolache recipe online, so I took a deep breath and just used a 1:1 substitue of my "Jules' Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour" for white flour in the recipe my mom gave me.  The results were amazing!  These tasted just like the kolaches I remember from my childhood Christmases!





Justin's Gluten-Free Kolache
1 cup organic shortening
3/4 cup organic sugar
2 cups boiling water
3 beaten organic eggs
1 cake yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
6 1/2 cups Jules Gluten Free Flour
2 tsp. salt
melted grass-fed organic butter

Cream shortening and sugar in mixing bowl.  Add boiling water.  When cool, add beaten eggs.  Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.  Add to mixing bowl.  Add flour and salt to mixing bowl. Blend well.  Let rise until double in bulk.  Punch down dough and make into walnut sized balls.  Place on well greased cookie sheets.  Brush balls with melted butter and flatten each one a little as you brush.  Make a depression in the center of each ball.  Fill with filling.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  

Kellner Poppyseed Filling
1 can of poppyseed filling
Raw Honey (to taste)
Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
Nutmeg (to taste)
splash Lemon Juice

Open can of poppyseed filling, add whipping cream and whip until mixture is creamy.  Add honey and nutmeg to taste.  Splash in lemon juice and mix again.  This is really a 'to taste' recipe, so I can't give you measurements-- just see what you like!

No comments: