Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My new obsession

OK- so I've blogged about this a couple of times already, but I'm obsessed with my dehydrator.  Perhaps the best indication of this is that my daughter walks around saying "You can dehydrate ANYTHING!" and constantly looks for things we can stick in it and experiment with.
Bananas dipped in pineapple juice

So far the best items have been pineapple, watermelon, bananas and fruit leathers.  I dehydrated some homemade pickles that were just sitting in the fridge (because I read that they're really good added to trail mix), and they are ok- very pickly and salty.  We've done blueberries and have some strawberry 'chips' in the machine right now.
 "Pineapple Candy"- just pineapple.  Dehydrated.  Yum!
 "Watermelon Candy".  This is so sweet that you can't eat too much of it.  For lack of a better way to describe it, it tastes like a watermelon jolly rancher in taffy form.
 My dehydrated pickles.  I'm going to cut them up in to smaller pieces with my kitchen shears.  I'm thinking they would also be really good thrown into a cheeseburger bake type of thing.
 Blueberry fruit leather-- just unsweetened applesauce and blueberry puree!
Dried blueberries.  I'm looking forward to using these in lieu of my frozen blueberries for muffin and cake mixes this winter.  They take up MUCH less room this way!

Oh, yeah-- this is a blog about my kiddos, right?  They are the BEST dehydrator sous chefs ever!  Alex is always running and 'checking' our product.  The boy is more of a taste-tester, but he likes to arrange non-sticky fruit on the dehydrator sheets for me too.

No comments: