Sunday, July 15, 2012

Introducing Amelie, Emily and Annie

Three Black Swallowtail caterpillars that Alex discovered munching on my Dill this afternoon. Justin was napping, Dave and Rorie were working/studying and I was reading while Alex played outside with her neighbor friend. After a while, I decided that it was time for her to come in-- too hot! As I approached the back door to break the news to Alex, I saw her hunched protectively over a small nest-like structure on the back deck. I got closer and saw her 'treasure'- a small green caterpillar with yellow dots and black bands. In my mind this is what childhood (not to mention summer in general) is all about. The freedom to explore and discover. She created a little nest for her 'friend' out of a spent firework base (cardboard) and lined it will the dill that she observed the caterpillar nibbling. Then she found some broader leaves to make a bed and 'cover'. I volunteered one of my new pint and a half jars to house our new friend during this transitory period of her life. The whole family got really involved (these things are CUTE!) and Dave was out cutting just the right branch for Amelie to form her chrysalis on. On the way back to the house, they found two more caterpillars who joined her in her new Palace. And now we wait. And 'the girls' enjoy lots and lots of dill until it's time for them to become beautiful butterflies.

No comments: