Monday, July 30, 2012

Emily Emerges!

While I was loading the dishwasher (for the fourtieth time) today, I about dropped the plate I was holding when I glanced over at our Chrysalis/butterfly box and saw a beautiful black Swallowtail butterfly clinging to a branch of the 'tree' we put in there. After recovering from the shock, I called the kids over. We sliced some fruit and dipped a cotton ball in a simple nectar for "Emily" (Alex told me that it was that specific caterpillar) to enjoy whilst her wings dried.
In a few hours she was flitting about-- we got worried that she would damage her delicate wings on the sides of the box (or get caught in the netting, as the holes are bigger than we'd like), so we brought her outside and watched her flutter away. Alex was momentarily sad, but we know that we will see her again, happily dancing in the breeze when we play outside. And soon her two friends will come out and join her!

No comments: