Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Making Valentine's Day Crayons!

I recently found a blog that I ADORE (Pink and Green Mama) and I had to steal one of their Valentine's Day craft ideas. Alex has a few V-Day parties to attend, and instead of contributing to the candy overload that I'm sure will transpire, we decided to make some homemade heart crayons to give as gifts.

I did have a small collection of broken and nubby crayons, but not enough to make 24 valentines, so we hit Michaels' dollar section and picked up two $1 packs of cheapo crayons. If that's all that Valentine's Day costs me each year, we'll be great!
The first step was to peel the crayons. Alex had a hard time with the labels, but she was a pro at breaking them into small bits.
Then we placed them into the heart muffin pan (also at Michaels for $9.99-- I consider it a sunk cost, as we'll be making these every year from now on).

Bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.

Finally, place directly in the snow (for those of us in the Midwest....I guess a freezer would do just as well in other parts of the country).

Pop them out of the tray, and Ta-Da!
Alex was thrilled with the results-- it was hard for her to choose which one she gets to keep at home-- they were all so pretty!

2 comments:

Bloggin BB said...

LOVE IT! Looks like so much fun!

Meyer Momma said...

What a great idea! I wish I would have seen this sooner...I hope I have time to borrow this idea before the big day!