Monday, March 17, 2008

Kitty Therapist

Alex was really upset that I made her lie down for a nap this afternoon, even though she was obviously exhausted and whiney. She kept protesting-- crying and screaming at the top of her lungs. This was making Huxley (who followed us into the nursery) anxious-- he kept pacing, first at the base of the crib, then he jumped up and started walking the rails. That distracted Alex for a moment, so I let him stay up there. Then the novelty wore off, and she started crying again. Huxley looked into the crib, sized up the best place to land (between the baby's legs), jumped straight in and settled down at her feet. I was shocked that the cat would purposefully snuggle up next to a screaming and flailing baby, and Alex was too, because she stopped crying. Huxley was allowed to stay in the crib for a few photos, and then (after a quick call to Dave to make sure I was doing the 'right' thing) was politely asked to leave. Go figure, as soon as I had lifted him out, Alex started crying again.
Our shock aversion therapy to keep the cats out of the crib has evidently worn off, but as long as he stays at her feet, I'm OK with him being in there, at least for short periods of time. (Don't worry Grandmas, he's not allowed to stay when I'm not in the room).

No comments: